Monday, July 27, 2009

What's Keeping Me Busy

I've had a few followers ask me what was keeping me so busy these days.

And it really is swimming lessons, laundry, work, laundry, swimming, laundry....you get the picture.

The other thing that is keeping me occupied? Plans to return to grad school.

I reveal this fact a little hesitantly. Grad school. Work. Grad School. Laundry. Grad school. Homeschool. Grad school. Lessons. It will be a very hefty goal. And exhausting. One I'm very well aware of. I finished my last degree when I was six months pregnant with Big Boy. And not one moment too soon. I was ready to be done. VERY happy to be done. Adament that I did not want to return to school. Done.

I guess I wasn't done. Super Hubs and I have been discussing long-term goals again. The uncertainty of his career has weighed heavy on our hearts for quite some time. It is not improving and we are facing the reality that it may never resume the once rock-solid career it once was. Maybe...maybe not. But it is all he's ever done. All he is educated in. All he's ever wanted to do. So if he is to continue in this field, we need to think about how we will continue our goals towards retirement and our family. To continue on this road, we think it would be best if I went back to school to get my Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (ARNP) license. That would give me more flexibility in my career, more opportunities and as with most any healthcare career these days, more security. All good things, right? I am very blessed to have chosen a career that is so solid in this waning economy. I'm very blessed to be given this opportunity to help others in such a meaningful way. I'm aware that these two factors are such a blessing from God. I'm not complaining. But honestly, I'm a bit hesitant and sad, maybe? School is very hard work and very demanding on my time. I've been blessed to place our boys, and our family, at the very top of my priority list for the past several years. I'm not all that excited about making something else a priority.

So I'm revealing this to you, my bloggy friends, so that if I ever should whine, complain, oh! let's-face-it! Bitch---about my blessed opportunity to do this, please remind me of what a blessing it really is?! Help me to keep my eye on the prize! This degree would afford me the opportunity to practice my skills in very productive, direct avenues to help people (I'm seeing some terrific medical missions in my future! How awesome would that be for the boys to participate in?!). It would possibly afford us the opportunity to move closer to our families. And very likely, to keep some rock-solid job security in our family. So I'm sucking it up, friends, and getting back to work on those applications. I'll keep you up-to-date on how it's going. And hopefully, you won't hear me complaining too much about the workload. Let's keep it real though....if you are anywhere in the Southeastern U.S., at some point, you just may hear me throw a Pharmacology textbook at the wall....

1 comment:

Kim said...

Go get 'em girl! Hey, thank of it this way. Next time you play school girl it will be fo' real! Hehehe... Love ya Sis!