Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Frugal Fabric Softener


I found a new way to extend the life of our fabric softener! SH doesn't mind saving money but he sure misses our clothes smelling really "perfume-y" (grad school failed me there.....! what is the correct term?!). So I'm gonna take this tip from Michelle Duggar of The Duggar Family on TLC--you know, the family with 18 kids! I am not the kind of woman to bear 18+ children---no way---but I do like her ideas on how to AFFORD 18+ children!

Fabric Softener-Extender
1 container of name-brand fabric softener
4 inexpensive sponges, cut in half

Pour a whole container of softener into a five-gallon bucket. Fill empty softener container with water twice (two parts water to one part softener). Add sponges to softener/water mixture. When ready to use, wring out extra mixture from one sponge and add to the dryer as you would a dryer sheet.

Excellent & Frugal! Love it!! Head on over to We Are That Family for more WFMW tips!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

This is a great tip! Off to find a 5 gallon bucket :)

Bailey's Leaf said...

Hubs is allergic, so we skip it altogether. However, the little nubby balls for your dryer do a great job. Though I line dry 90 % of my laundry, the nubby balls fluff my towels nicely!

Carissa Houston said...

Great idea! Does it ever get a wet mop smell? Any cleanser I mix with water starts stinking within 2 wks. I'll try a small batch thanks!!!

Amy Platon said...

wow, who knew? but I do have a fabric softener tip to add, if your dog freaks out in a lightning storm, rub his coat with a dry softener sheet and things will be all better. Turns out the static electricity causes dogs a crazy sensation that fabric sheets cure!

Aspiring Mom2three said...

Great tip! I use vinegar in the place of fabric softeners now, but wish I'd thought of this years ago! Love the dog trick!

Jerralea said...

Interesting idea ... may have to give that a try. Have you seen how the prices of fabric softener have went up in the last year?