Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tempt Your Tummy!


YUMM! Those that know me know that I LOVE to cook....and I love food! I'm just a recovering 4-H kid from Iowa really.....we all learned how to cook at the youngest of ages. Mine was 5, believe it or not. I remember standing on chairs that I would slide up to the counter area and help my mom cook and do dishes. I loved it. Still love it. Cook every day--even after working a 13-hour shift at the hospital. It helps me to unwind and honestly, it is where I feel most at home and most competent in this crazy world. So I'm jumping in on this carnival from Lisa over at Blessed With Grace. Here is one of my favorite comfort food, potluck, take-to-a-new-mama recipes that I just did for someone yesterday. Warning! It is not very waist-friendly, so I don't make it at home much. But everyone LOVES it!

Hash Brown Potato & Ham Casserole

3 Cups hash brown (grated) potatoes (either frozen/thawed or grated by hand)
1 1/2 Cups diced ham (for extra deep flavor, I will often use a leftover baked ham from Easter or another holiday--in a pinch I buy diced ham out of the deli area)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper (or to taste)
1 1/2 Cups grated cheddar cheese

Mix all together well in a large bowl. Spray a 9x9 square baking dish with non-stick spray. Layer hash brown mixture in pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes. You can sprinkle the top with more cheese toward the end if you like more cheese---and who doesn't want more cheese? Geesh!

That's it! Ultimate comfort food--and pretty cheap and frugal to make. Our boys gobble it up in no time and always ask for more. Enjoy all the other recipes over at Lisa's blog and Tempt Your Tummy!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps I will try this next week after Easter then :) Thnx

annies home said...

this is great I have used it before

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

This would be great for Easter Sunday. Thanks for sharing and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Angela said...

This sounds great! Thanks for sharing. Like you, I love being in the kitchen and it's where I feel most comfortable.

And who says everything has to be waist friendly, LOL!?