Friday, March 6, 2009

Kid Friendly Friday!


So I found this great carnival over at http://iblamemom.blogspot.com/. It's Kid Friendly Friday! And I loved the idea and knew immediately I wanted to join. Then the panic set in about what I should write about. (I hate being the new-kid-on-the-blog-block....). Then it hit me....our family schedule. Which is chaos to those on the outside and to Super Hubby and I, it is Kid Friendly. See, SH travels for a living. And his schedule changes every month and sometimes, even every week. And since we also don't have much family that lives here in this state, we don't have a lot of options for childcare.
So I work weekends. For my sacrifice of every Saturday and Sunday, it's like having a full-time job, as far as benefits and pay are concerned. The differential pay is good and I'm only required to do those 2 days a week. I never thought I'd love it....when I did this it was simply for a year or two until I could figure out something else. I was not going to give up weekends, Sunday church, family time, etc.... What we discovered though is that our kids don't know the difference between Tuesday or Saturday. It doesn't matter if we get to the beach, or the park, or some shopping on Thursday morning or Saturday afternoon. In fact, many of the places we go to in the middle of the week are less crowded, cheaper and a whole lot less stressful during those times. SH usually can get a weekday off here and there. He gets home every weekend to watch the boys. I get a weekend off once in a while. It's working out beautifully and I love it. Our kids love it. It so works for us and it is wonderfully kid friendly. Our boys don't go to preschool or daycare. We "homeschool preschool" at this point. We spend tons of family time together--much more than the typical family that works 9-5, Monday thru Friday. I feel like a part-time SAHM. All these things work really well for us and for our kids. I would really recommend anyone who has to work looks at this kind of option. It looked terribly restricting in the beginning but has turned out to be a fantastic alternative option for our kids and our family.
See you next week for another Kid Friendly Friday! Hop on over to http://iblamemom.blogspot.com/ for more kid friendly fun stuff!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

My first thought was "not the weekends!" but it is so true that small children don't know the difference. I don't even like to go anywhere on the weekends because it's too crowded. Great post! Thank you for participating!!

Love your blog title :)

Sharinskishe said...

It is great that we can actually schedule our time to our needs. We have our 'Friday Night' whenever Dear Hubby is home during the week.

When I was homeschooling both kids, our weekends were often in the middle of the week, due to Hubby's schedule.

We need to remember that we can do what is best for us. We do not have to do what our peers or society dictates, if what we are doing is legal and works for us!

Great posting. I know how difficult it can be with Hubby out of town a lot.

Sharinskishe